Moving Tips from Allied Van Lines
Planning ahead to make sure you're ready for moving day couldn't be easier with our three month moving checklist. Whether your move is local, long distance, or international, use this checklist to help you prepare for the big day when your Allied Van Lines moving team arrives at your home.
Want a handy PDF version? Go ahead and download your checklist now.
12-Week Move Planning Checklist
12 weeks before you move, have you…
- ▢ Chosen your mover and signed the acceptance note?
- ▢ Sorted through basement, loft and garage?
- ▢ Resolved what to do with prohibited items?
- ▢ Made proper provision for pets?
- ▢ Decided whether or not you are taking your car?
10 weeks before you move, have you…
- ▢ Disposed of the things you don’t want to take?
8 weeks before you move, have you…
- ▢ Started to prepare your mailing list of people who need your change of address?
- ▢ Notified banks, savings accounts, credit card companies, magazine subscriptions, hire purchase, and rental companies?
- ▢ Started to round up passports, birth/marriage certificates and other family documentation?
- ▢ Applied for any necessary visas?
- ▢ Checked that electrical goods will work in your new home?
6 weeks before you move, have you…
- ▢ Separated favorite toys?
- ▢ Made sure your pet’s vaccinations are up to date?
- ▢ Arranged for mail to be forwarded?
- ▢ Decided whether or not to buy any new household goods?
4 weeks before you move, have you…
- ▢ Decided which clothes travel with you?
- ▢ Started to dismantle climbing frames/garden furniture?
- ▢ Agreed on insurance value and terms with your mover?
- ▢ Made arrangements for connection of services at your new home?
- ▢ Returned library books?
- ▢ Canceled newspapers, subscriptions?
- ▢ Found new homes for your plants?
7 days before you move, have you…
- ▢ Defrosted the refrigerator/freezer?
- ▢ Planned simple meals for moving day to avoid using appliances?
- ▢ Separated luggage items you need for personal travel?
- ▢ Cleaned garden tools, bicycles and any other gardening equipment?
- ▢ Emptied the tanks of powered tools such as mowers?
- ▢ Checked you have enough medication for at least two weeks, and ensured you have copies of any necessary prescriptions for use at destination?
- ▢ Collected travelers checks or local currency?
- ▢ Arranged for someone to look after the children on moving day?
- ▢ You're ready so relax and leave the hard work to us!