Video 12: Learn What Moving Boxes and Packing Supplies You'll Need For Your Residential Move
Packing your own belongings is a pretty daunting project. Having a good packing strategy and the right moving boxes and packing supplies on hand will help you get the job done faster with less frustration.
- Identify fragile, large, or awkwardly shaped items. Pack these first, as these may take more time and attention. Getting the hard stuff out of the way first is a great stress reducer!
- Pack on a room-by-room basis and start well in advance of your moving day. You might set yourself a goal of packing one room a day.
Moving Boxes List
- Small boxes for heavier items such as books.
- Larger boxes for lightweight items such as blankets, pillow, and towels.
- Specialty boxes for hanging clothes, packing fragile items such as dishes, glasses, mirrors, framed art or photos, mattresses, and more.
Packing Supplies List
- Padding such as newspaper, packing peanuts, or bubble wrap for fragile items.
- Packing tape.
- Markers to label boxes with contents and the room to which each box will be moved.
- Mattress covers.
- Stretch wrap to protect large items that don't go in boxes such as couches.
- Zip lock baggies.
- After you've unpacked at your new home, recycle your used boxes and newspapers. Ask your moving company if they pick up used boxes for reuse or recycling.
- Submit a change of address form at the Postal Service website to get mail forwarded from your old address.
- Change your address directly with the companies that send you bills and statements by mail such as credit card issuers, insurance companies, banks etc.
Piepho Moving & Storage sells new and use moving boxes and packing supplies. Call Piepho for more information at 800-622-4515. We're your local Allied Van Lines agent in Minneapolis, St. Paul, Rochester, Mankato MN or La Crosse Wisconsin.
Best wishes for a safe and easy move!