The Top Ten Mistakes To Avoid When Hiring a Mover for your Residential Move
For great tips from Allied Van Lines watch the video above. If you're in a hurry, here's a quick rundown of the top ten mistakes to avoid when you're looking to hire a moving company.
- Deciding to go with the mover that has the lowest price
Getting moving quotes over the phone and/or submitting an online inventory list of things you will be moving
- Often times quality goes hand in hand with price. Be careful of low quotes and hidden extra charges.
Not receiving estimates from several moving companies
- Without actually visiting your home, moving companies cannot give you an accurate estimate.
Not researching the moving companyNot planning ahead
- You can't know what is fair, unless you get estimates from at least three moving companies.
Not asking about extra costs you might be charged
- The summer is the busiest time of year for movers, so book your mover well in advance of your planned move date if you're going to move during the warmer months.
Not asking the right questions
- Moving companies may charge extra for moving items up and down stairs, not having a parking space close by, and packing supply fees.
Not checking with the Better Business Bureau on the mover's complaint record
- Ask questions to make sure you're with a reputable moving company.
Not informing the mover of any unusual situations they may run into before the move
- It is rare to find a moving company that is free from complaints. You can see how the complaints were handled as well.
Forgetting to keep track of the different estimates you receive
- It's important to tell the moving company of problems like parking issues, difficult access, limited hours, and elevators and stairs.