Video Moving Tips from Allied Van Lines
The Top Ten Mistakes To Avoid When Hiring a Mover for your Residential Move
For great tips from Allied Van Lines watch the video above. If you're in a hurry, here's a quick rundown of the top ten mistakes to avoid when you're looking to hire a moving company.
- Deciding to go with the mover that has the lowest price
- Often times quality goes hand in hand with price. Be careful of low quotes and hidden extra charges.
- Without actually visiting your home, moving companies cannot give you an accurate estimate.
- You can't know what is fair, unless you get estimates from at least three moving companies.
- In order to ensure you're hiring a reliable mover, make sure to google for customer reviews, check their website, visit their office, and look up the company on protectyourmove.gov.
- The summer is the busiest time of year for movers, so book your mover well in advance of your planned move date if you're going to move during the warmer months.
- Moving companies may charge extra for moving items up and down stairs, not having a parking space close by, and packing supply fees.
- Ask questions to make sure you're with a reputable moving company.
- Is the company registered with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration?
- Does the company subcontract to smaller companies?
- What is the company's rate per pound and rate per distance for the move?
- It is rare to find a moving company that is free from complaints. You can see how the complaints were handled as well.
- It's important to tell the moving company of problems like parking issues, difficult access, limited hours, and elevators and stairs.